Wednesday 2 May 2007

First One Off The Shelf

With a cd collection of just under 700 and growing, I thought I'd jot down some thoughts on the music. But how to choose where to start and what to play ? I recall reading a remark from Norman Del Mar ( just a name to me but was a conductor I believe ) who said that he always just took down the next one off the shelf. So that will be my method, though moving from one shelf to another to keep some variety in genres. This first selection doesn't indicate any special status to this recording, it isn't my favourite ever or anything like that, just the first one off the shelf. So, here we go with Pierre Boulez conducting the the Cleveland Orchestra in pieces by Stravinsky, namely Le Chant du Rossignol, L'Histoire du Soldat - Suite, Scherzo Fantastique and Le Roi des Etoiles. Music from around the same time as Stravinsky's famous ballet scores for Diaghilev but maybe with less of an overtly Russian feel. I think much of Stravinsky's music retains a balletic / theatrical feel though and Boulez is a long time advocate ( not that Stravinsky currently really needs advocacy in the concert hall )

No comments: