Wednesday 30 May 2007

By the Yard

There is this impression that Telemann was something of a journeyman who turned out music by the yard on demand. He was certainly prolific to say the least and it is a little daunting to know how to approach his output. In fact, this is currently the only cd of his music that I have, Sinfonia Spirituosa String Concertos by Musica Antiqua Koln and Reinhard Goebel. It has to be remembered that in baroque times composers were looked on as craftsmen, expected to be producing music for their employer, be that court or church, on a continuous basis. Telemann was certainly a master craftsman and like Buxtehude would almost certainly have a much higher status now if it hadn't been for the existence of Bach. He is a composer I would like to explore more when I get the opportunity.

1 comment:

Letp said...

I love baroque music. Telemann is one of my favorite composers.
I agree with your comment. I think it is short and to the point.
In old times composers were craftsmen. There was no copyright law and they had to work hard to earn their living.
I agree that Telemann would be more important composer if we did not have Bach.