Monday 14 May 2007

Early Purchase

My first classical purchases came from an introductory offer to a mail order club, eight cd's for a tenner or something like that. I picked from the available list on the basis that I might know a few of the tunes. This cd was amongst those purchased at that time, Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture, Scottish and Italian Symphonies by the Berlin Philharmonic and Herbert von Karajan. As expected I did find some familiar tunes, probably considered to be "warhorse" repertoire but I think most warhorses achieve that status because of an inherent quality. By the nature of the deals offered from the music club, I have ended up with several cd's from Herbie Vonk. I've since encountered all the doubts about his standing with the dubious wartime past, the self publicising and posturing, the concentration on sound quality over content. All of that has plenty of justification I'm sure but as for that sound from the Berlin Phil, I can only say that it is a great sound however applicable it might be to certain repertoire. It fits Mendelssohn perfectly for instance.

No comments: