Wednesday 30 May 2007

Deep

Some very deep blues from the north Mississippi hill country, Wish I Was In Heaven Sittin Down by R L Burnside. Recorded in 2000 when he was 73, the album is a successful mix of his old style hard blues with electronica effects and the playing of a younger band. It is not all downbeat but there are a core of heartbreaking songs that indicate the late Indian summer of his career wasn't really compensation for the hardships that had gone before. Maybe my next one off the shelf philosophy let me down today, in that it is a dismally unseasonal late May day and I just feel generally grouchy about the world. I know blues is supposed to be a release by giving voice to the bad times but it didn't quite work for me this morning. A very recommendable album though.

No comments: