Monday 8 October 2007

The Elephant In The Room Mk II

As far as classical music is concerned, for me the elephant in the corner of the room that nobody wants to discuss is Wagner. I have a problem with Wagner. He wasn't the nicest of men in his personal dealings, well he isn't alone there among great composers. But his politics are to be deplored and he is forever tainted by association, albeit posthumously, with the Hitler regime. But the bottom line for me is that I don't "get" the operas. They seem to me to be the epitome of the comedy cliche that it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings and it seems almost a requisite of being a Wagnerian soloist to be of substantial girth. Still and all, his influence and stature are enormous and so to that end I have this one double cd compilation release that lets me off the operatic hook a little by being titled Wagner Orchestral Favourites. And the performers could hardly be more prestigious, the Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by Sir George Solti. The pieces featured are mainly overtures and preludes to various operas, plus the famous Siegfried Idyll and Siegfried's Funeral March. It is obvious that the use of such vast orchestral forces led onto much that followed and the handling of those forces is expert but I still find it easier to admire than to like and I still don't know if that is for purely musical reasons or for reasons of prejudice. Jumbo's still there !

No comments: