Wednesday 6 June 2007

Three Old Warhorses

This is another of the very early cd's I picked up when I first became interested in classical music. It contains three works that I was aware of eeven in my state of ignorance and now see as candidates for the status of tired old warhorse. That is more the fault of popular programming in the concert hall and on radio though, rather than any intrinsic fault of the works themselves. Which are, La Mer by Debussy, Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky orchestrated by Ravel and Ravel's Bolero with the Berlin Philharmoniker and Herbert von Karajan. As far as the performances are concerned, Bolero and La Mer are fine. Pictures is a bit laboured and stately and I'm sure I could find a more dynamic version but given that it can so frequently be heard through other avenues, it isn't a priority for me to purchase one. It's good to have these in the library but I'm more likely these days to hear them in some other context than in taking this disk down very often.

No comments: