Sunday 8 September 2013

All Requiem'd Out

BBC Music magazine has gone overboard with requiem's this year with the current free cover disc being the third such work to feature in 2013. This time it is another anniversary connection with Verdi's Requiem Mass. A work I do not otherwise have, for the simple reason that I have never particularly wanted it. This is a live recording from a 1988 prom. Performers : Bach Choir ( chorus master Sir David Willcocks ), BBC Symphony Chorus ( chorus master Gareth Morrell ), London Philharmonic Choir ( chorus master Richard Cooke ), BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir John Pritchard. Soloists Julia Varady soprano, Dolora Zajick mezzo-soprano, Dennis O'Neill tenor and Evgeny Nesterenko bass. After many years of subscribing, I think I am coming to the end of my regular purchases of BBC Music with the cover discs on the whole becoming less interesting and the magazine itself gradually following Radio 3 down market.

No comments: