Friday 20 August 2010

What's The Problem ?

Another anniversary linked disc this month from BBC Music magazine with a performance of Mahlers's Symphony No 7 by the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Gianandrea Noseda. It is a live recording from a shared cycle of all Mahler symphonies that the BBC Phil and the Halle gave in Manchester. I've already posted about the work in relation to the commercial recording I have by Abbado and the Berlin Philharmonic, also a live recording. I'm not one for comparative listening to competing performances. Suffice to say this recording holds its' own very well and I would be happy to have it as my only version had it worked out that way. I wasn't aware at any point of why it should be considered to be Mahler's problem symphony, all five movements containing many fine moments.

No comments: