Sunday 20 January 2008

Play This And You Can Play Anything

Only a couple of Chopin recitals in my collection but this is a top of the range one from Murray Perahia playing the 12 Etudes Op 10 and the 12 Etudes Op 25, together with three Impromptus and a Fantasie Impromptu. I find it hard to post about solo piano recitals from the standpoint of a layman. I appreciate the artistry, enjoy the listening experience but can't really get into the detailed critical appraisal of each study. Unless there is a complete lapse in competance, my critical facilities aren't well enough attuned to pick it up. I think I am on safe ground by saying this is a very fine performance, however. The two books of etudes were dedicated to Liszt and represent formidable challenges in technique. It has been said that if a pianist can play the etudes they can play anything since Chopin set out to specifically explore the furthest extremes of keyboard virtuosity while retaining a poetic sensibility and even throwing in a few instantly recognisable tunes. It is hard to think of them being played with greater aplomb than by Perahia here.

No comments: