Wednesday 8 August 2007

19th Century Dance Music

As I proceed with this venture, there are bound to be some disks about which there's little new to say, since they are similar to others already considered. Such is the case with this one of music from Dvorak played by the Budapest Festival Orchestra conducted by Ivan Fischer. The main work is a suite of short orchestral settings called Legends and the disk also has a Nocturne, Miniatures and the Prague Waltzes. The similarity that I mentioned is to Dvorak's Slavonic Dances and Brahms's Hungarian Dances, both of which I have posted about. And the same applies here, plenty of melody, maybe a bit close to light music for modern ears to take in one largish sitting. It was an early purchase in my exploration of classical music and I perhaps wouldn't have purchased it now as my tastes have matured. Well played and warm hearted for all that.

No comments: