Thursday 26 July 2007

Not Quite Just a Pretty Face

Can't remember what frame of mind I was in when I got this album, When I Look In Your Eyes by Diana Krall, because it isn't really my thing. It is cocktail jazz that veers pretty close to easy listening. I think I was in the afterglow from a holiday in the Algarve where this album was an accompaniment to lazy late dinners in the sultry warm air. The album is mainly of standards with a few Krall witty originals. She is a decent jazz pianist but it would be idle to think that her recoding contract and record company push wasn't mainly because of her photogenic face and figure, witness the packaging of the cd. It is a predominantly minimalist album with either trio or quartet ( piano, string bass, guitar and optional drums ) and orchestral arrangements on a couple of tracks. Ok to dig out for a listen every now and again, I like to think of it as a reminder of the previous generation to myself before the onslaught and occasional arrogance of rock music.

No comments: